Quinta do Vallado Tinto, a red wine from Douro, Portugal.

Quinta do Vallado Tinto

Red Wine
Portugal | Region: Douro
Vintage: 2019 | Grape: Touriga Franca, Touriga Nacional, Tinta Roriz & Velhas
Volume: 75cl | ABV: 13.5%
Food Pairing: Red meats such as beef, rabbit or lamb, amply salted.

Tasting Notes

Made in the Douro, the valley where port vines are grown, this wine contains the same grape varieties as traditional port, and its fruit character shares many of the same qualities.

Dark red, with crimson highlights, having an intense, mature blackberry and ripe purple plum aromas burst from the glass with interesting accents of sage and tarragon. On the palate, this shows a great structure and a full-bodied elegance, with mature dark berries, round tannins, leading to a long, persistent finish.

Grape variety: Touriga Franca (30%), Touriga Nacional (25%), Tinta Roriz (20%), Sousão (5%) & Vinhas Velhas (20%).

Vinification: The grapes from the younger vineyards contributed with 80% of the final blend. The remaining 20% came from the very old parts of the vineyards (over 70 year old). The great majority of the wines, both from the old as from the newer vineyards, were fermented in 10.000 kgs stainless steel tanks for a week. A small part of the grapes from the old vineyards were foot trodden and fermented in 'lagares' for the same period. All wines were fermented under controlled temperature varying between 25º and 27ºC. The finest of the press wine, from a traditional basket press, was also used for ageing for the final blend.

Ageing: 80% aged for 14 months in stainless steel tanks. The remaining 20% aged in 225 litres used French Oak barrique for 14 months until final blending.

Best served with: with hearty red meats such as beef, rabbit or lamb, amply salted and seasoned with pungent accents like fresh green herbs, anchovies, capers and garlic.

Ageing potential: 5 - 7 years.